I am really excited about having a blog for my classroom! I think it will be a great way to keep parents involved with what is currently going on with their child's class. So many parents have smart phones that provide them with the ability to follow blogs or they can be notified of posts via email. This seems like such a great way to send out alerts or reminders about upcoming events, homework, projects, etc.
I plan on posting the topics for the week, and ways that the students can practice at home. I want to give the students the opportunity to design the blog so they feel some level of ownership over their classroom and education. This can be a great way to instill a level of intrinsic value over their education. Students will try the very best if they know that mom and/or dad can see their project on the classroom blog. Also, I think this helps with parental involvement. Parents can feel involved in their child's classroom if they have a break in the day to see what has been going on. I hope to post pictures with the student's activities and even videos. Personally, I would love if my daughter's teacher had a classroom blog! It is such a great way to feel connected to your child when they are away from you. Blogs can provide a great way to notify the parents instead of by a weekly newsletter. So many times newsletters never reach home, and they can be such a waste of paper. A blog eliminates the need for this, and the steps involved. It is so easy for a teacher to update a post from her/his personal smart phone, tablet, or computer.
I am enjoying this assignment because it is providing me with a good trial run. Hopefully, I will have blogging perfected when I reach the classroom!
I agree with your ideas about setting up a classroom blog to help get parents involved with their child's classroom.
ReplyDelete